Sunday 17 December 2017

My big mistake

My biggest mistake became apparent only after I had hemped all the joints and put the rear wheel on.

I clearly hadn't got the rear drop-out jig straight. You can see this in the Video 2 where I had stupidly tried to get it straight by wedging a stirrer under one corner of the jig. If you get the drill whole fairly straight and screw the jig tight to the board it should be self-straightening.  I made a real rooky mistake here.

It wasn't until it came to put the bike together that I realised the the rear wheel rubbed badly on the frame. It was completely wonky. The problem was on the non-drive-side drop-out. Thinking about it, with this kit, any rear wheel alignment problems are probably going to be on the non-drive-side (the design of the jig means that he drive-side is pretty-much always going to be correct as it is very closer to the mdf board). The non-drive-side is quite some distance from the board so there is more scope for something to get our of alignment on that side.

So, I got out my Dremel, (and some sanding drums) a ¼ inch chisel and my junior hacksaw and took all the epoxy off the drop-out. It took about 2 hours of work. When I re-positioned the drop-outs, I used the rear wheel to get the exact position. I bought some more epoxy tacking glue from ebay. I checked the positioning many times before I re-hemped the lugs. I would definitely recommend carefully using an actual wheel to check the rear drop-outs before and after tacking and before hemping the lugs. 



No comments:

Post a Comment